Pretoria – There was no festive cheer for pets that were traumatised by fireworks.
Wollies Animal Project in the north of the city (Pretoria) said they had taken in 20 dogs after New Year’s Eve, some traumatised and others physically injured.
Looking back to December, the founder of the shelter, Cilla Trexler, said they had taken in a total of 100 dogs then, some of which were strays and others that were left unattended while their owners went away.
Among the worst cases was a Pekingese dog that was badly bitten by other dogs when it fled into the street because of fireworks.
Trexler said they also received calls from anxious owners regarding missing pets.
“Fireworks were terrible in and around Pretoria North. We did receive a lot of calls regarding animals that were scared and got hurt trying to run away.”
The most serious cases were referred to the Onderstepoort Veterinary Academic Hospital.
Some shelters, including the Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (SPCA) in Centurion, the SPCA in Waltloo, Woodrock Animal Rescue and the Wetnose Animal Rescue Centre, reported a quieter period.