DURBAN – Rothschild & Co has announced that Martin Kingston, chief executive of Rothschild & Co in South Africa, will assume the role of executive chairperson, with effect from 1 April 2019.
Paul Bondi and Giles Douglas will assume the role of co-heads of South Africa and will support Martin in managing the business and client relationships.
Paul and Giles each have over 20 years of investment banking experience and have been with the business for 13 and five years respectively.
Trevor Manuel, a former Finance Minister of South Africa, and current chairperson of Old Mutual will return to his position as non-executive deputy chairperson of the board of Rothschild in South Africa whilst also continuing in his role as senior advisor to the group.
Other Non-Executive Directors include:
Dolly Mokgatle, one of the founding partners of the Peotona Group, and a seasoned businesswoman who serves on the boards of Kumba Iron Ore, Total SA and Telkom. Mokgatle is the chairperson of the Rothschild (South Africa) Foundation.
Thembisa Skweyiya, a lawyer and businesswoman with extensive financial services and corporate governance experience, who currently serves on the boards of Imperial Logistics Holdings, Liberty Holdings and Woolworths Holdings.
The changes in executive leadership reflect the group’s long-term commitment and ongoing investment in both South Africa and the region and build on Rothschild in South Africa’s market positioning and success.
The team has advised on the following significant transactions in the past 18 months:
- Old Mutual plc £12bn Managed Separation into its four independent business units
- Vodacom’s $1.3bn Black Economic Empowerment transaction
- Chevron Global Energy’s $1 billion disposal of its 75 percent interest in Chevron South Africa and 100 percent interest in Chevron Botswana
- Anglo American’s sale of its Eskom-tied domestic thermal coal operations & New Largo thermal coal project
- Sasol’s $1.6bn broad-based black economic empowerment transaction
- Sasol’s $2.25bn dual tranche senior notes offering
Robert Leitão, Managing Partner at Rothschild, said: "These appointments reflect the ongoing evolution of Rothschild & Co’s business, and further enhances our success and long-standing track record as a leading financial advisory business in Africa. We are extremely proud of the team’s collective efforts in building this successful platform,"
BUSINESS REPORT ONLINE