Death toll from Nigerian gas explosion rises to 21

PRETORIA – Another body was discovered on Thursday at the scene of a gas pipeline explosion that rocked Abule Ado, Amuwo Odofin in Lagos, Nigeria, on Sunday. 

The death toll from the explosion now stands at 21. 

The Lagos State Emergency Management Agency (LASEMA) said via social media that the incident destroyed over 50 houses, leaving hundreds of residents homeless.

Several vehicles parked in the area were also destroyed by the explosion, said LASEMA. 

On Thursday, Nigerian publication The Cable reported that Olufemi Oke-Osanyintolu, director-general of LASEMA, said 468 people had been displaced because of the explosion, 100 of them currently being housed in a relief camp. Two people were still missing. 

“We appeal for calm and urge members of the public to keep away from the scene. We will continue to provide updates,” Oke-Osanyintolu was quoted saying.

The publication reported that Babajide Sanwo-Olu, governor of Lagos, set up a R94 million emergency relief fund for victims of the incident.

African News Agency

lagos - Death toll from Nigerian gas explosion rises to 21

Leave a Reply